Monday, May 24, 2010

help a cuppycake in need

i don't know if i mentioned this or not, but the other day renato and nathalie had a very interesting couple over for dinner. they both used to work as chefs and now the husband is a painter (he took my picture so he can paint sometime!) and the wife does catering and also teaches cooking courses. the purpose of the dinner was for them to come over and check out the house to see if we can have a sort of competition here. the competition will be for all of the pupils of the course which nathalie attends (around fifty or so) and it's kind of like a final exam for all of them. so that i don't feel left out renato has invited me to prepare something for the competition as well. i'm quite nervous. there will be about 100 people here (about 50 students and their friends/family). that's a lot.
renato suggested that i make something that is traditionally american... but since america is pretty much a mixture of every other place in the world, that is kind of difficult. when i think american food i think burgers and fries... but making a sampling of burgers isn't as simple as it may sound. tiny buns aren't easy come by. especially in a country where people don't even eat hamburgers. finding the perfect thing isn't going to be easy. and unfortunately i don't really know much about cooking... but what i do know is cute. i will probably be spending the next few days scouring the bakerella website. i saw these mini burger and fries trays the other day, but as adorbale as they look, they don't look particularly tasty... a brownie between two sugar cookies is a bit much for me. anyway, if you have any suggestions about something cute, simple, and delicious i could make PLEASE feel free to send them my way.
ciao!

2 comments:

  1. Ciao Lily!
    I love reading your blog and your super awesome adventures, I am not going to lie I am feeling jealous at the moment and I wish I was there with you! As I read this blog I couldn't help but post something since you know I love to cook... so here are some ideas... homemade mac and cheese is delicious and super easy to make.... maybe some mini-meatballs ( i don't know if those are american) or chicken strips are easy and fast to make! Let me know if you need any recipes! I love you and Miss you!
    <3 BELI

    ReplyDelete
  2. i DEFINITELY thought about homemade, baked-in-the-oven, yummy-southern-comfort-food, mac 'n' cheese... but i would like to do something that is made in single servings. there are going to be about a hundred people here, and i think that type of dish would be more conducive to a big crowd. i'm thinking of making red white and blue cupcake pops/balls. that way i can have the girls help me make my dish.

    ReplyDelete